1. The applicability of Lean and Six Sigma techniques to clinical and translational research, Sharon A Schweikhart, Allard E Dembe, Journal of Investigative Medicine (Impact Factor: 1.96). 10/2009; 57(7):748-55.
2. Brown, Mark Graham. Baldrige Award Winning Quality: How to Interpret the Baldrige Criteria for Performance Excellence. CRC Press, 2013.
3. Van den Heuvel, Jaap, et al. "An ISO 9001 quality management system in a hospital: bureaucracy or just benefits?." International Journal of Health Care Quality Assurance 18.5 (2005): 361-369.
4. Sahney, Vinod K. "Evolution of hospital industrial engineering: from scientific management to total quality management." Journal of the Society for Health Systems 4.1 (1992): 3-17. Industrial Engineering has a long history in healthcare, starting in the early 1900's and continues to this day.
5. Chassin, Mark R., and Jerod M. Loeb. "High-Reliability Health Care: Getting There from Here." Milbank Quarterly 91.3 (2013): 459-490. Explains the Joint Commission's reliance on Lean and Six Sigma in improving health care.
6. Salvendy, Gavriel, ed. Handbook of industrial engineering: technology and operations management. John Wiley & Sons, 2001.